How to Be More Secure
Capital One is here to support you in keeping your identity and finances safe.
Our strong encryption technology ensures that any data that passes between your computer and our server is secure.
- We use firewall systems and intrusion detection software to prohibit unauthorized access to our systems
- We automatically send you alerts informing you of any changes made to your online banking profile
- To protect your information, the online banking website will automatically log off after a period of inactivity during any session
We occasionally verify your identity by asking you to enter a one-time security code in order to sign in to your online banking account. When we do this, we’ll send you the code by text message or email. To help ensure you receive this code, please make sure to keep your contact information (email address and/or mobile phone number) up to date in your online banking account.
How you can keep your information safe:
- Choose your passwords carefully and don’t share them with anyone
- Never carry your password in your wallet
- Install and maintain up-to-date firewall and virus protection software on your computer
- Make sure you sign out when you finish checking your transactions on the Capital One website and close your browser
- Report a lost/stolen card or compromised password immediately
- Never respond to emails looking for personal information, like passwords or account information – we’ll never ask for this type of information through email